Sunday 4 November 2012

Back up on the Bloggy horse with a little makeover...

Hello Lovely friends!

I've missed you!!  I've been totally MIA these past few weeks....  we had an amazing 3 week family holiday to the US. Since returning I held my first market stall and have just been crazy busy catching up with life! 

I've missed this little blog and reading all of my faves too!  High time I got back up on the Bloggy horse... and what better way than to share a sweet little makeover...  Giddy Up!

So this project has been a work in progress for an embarrassingly long time.  I started it before we went on holidays...  so I'm happy to have finally finished it!

I bought some coffee grain sacks a few months ago, with a few ideas in mind but nothing concrete.  I started by washing them.  Now let me tell you wet hessian sack is not the nicest smell, not quite wet dog, but not exactly pleasant!  Anyway they dried in the sun and smell perfectly fine now :)

So they were sitting innocently next to ironing board, which is next to my sewing machine and I was ironing the boys school shirts when I spied them out of the corner of my eye.  They were totally beckoning me. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I was cutting and sewing.

I've had the vanity stool kicking around for ages, it was my Nan's, she used to sit on it to do her make up.  I recovered it years ago in a dark denim fabric and it was looking more than a little tired.


So my little vanity stool got a coffee grain sack reupholster job and a new lick of paint.  Here she is after...

 



I love the green stripe and the stencilled details. 



 
 

I only used a small piece of the sack and I have some fun plans for the rest of it!

Do you totally stumble into starting a project? Or do you plan? 

Thanks for popping by,


Jo xx

Linking up ... :)

23 comments:

  1. I think this is going to catch on Jo......I love it. It really looks beautiful ;O)
    T xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! great idea with the grain sack. i'm in the middle of doing something with one of these.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great and is a fab idea, but can we see the inbetween photos of how to got there? I am thinking of doing the upholstery on my bamboo dining chairs, and would love to know what kind of foam to use and how to get from A to B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, I'm sory I didn't take many pics, started before we left for our big overseas trip and was a bit rushed. Super easy though... just overlocked the edges of the raw fabric, and stretched and stapled into place. My piece already had foam in good condition so didn't need to replace that. Jo x

      Delete
  4. Awesome job! I'm doing something like this with a footstool too - hope it turns out as well as yours :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  5. HeLLO Jo!
    Have you got your beautiful new Dining Chairs yet? ;O)
    Because you can never have enough chairs!!!
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello... yes I have... slacker blogger, I'm yet to photograph them... soon I hope :) Absolutely the more chairs the merrier ;) Jo xx

      Delete
  6. Nice project, thanks for sharing. I really like the use of natural materials, and particularly of upcycling.

    To answer your question... I do plan my projects, but then I find myself doing things on-whim and changing my mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so talented. I absolutely love your style. Looking forward to the give away.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, Awwww thank you so much... that means a lot coming from you! I adore your blog :) Jo xx

      Delete
  8. hi...i love this idea!....something about those coffee sacks, shame they didnt smell of roasted coffee?!...had a giggle about "wet dog" smell....i have two critters sitting at the back door who have just frolicked in the rain....that smell aint good!!....i`m a new follower so im glad your back on the horse....giddy up!!
    Allison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Allison, Thanks so much for following me :) I've just popped over to your blog too.. love discovering new to me Aussie blogs! Jo xx

      Delete
  9. My husband bought a coffee sack home for me just yesterday and now I know what to do with it! Great makeover :) Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina! Thanks :) Just starting following you, looking forward to your makeover. Jo x

      Delete
  10. Hi Jo, I am hearing you about the washing the coffee/ grain sacks. They are very much like a wet dog! They made my washing machine kind of hairy too, had to do a empty rinse to get rid of it. Will hand wash next time! This is lovely, love white paired with the neutral shade of the sack.
    Have a great week!
    Rach xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he Rach... yes my washing machine was hairy too! Thanks so much :) Jo xx

      Delete
  11. what a great idea I totally love it!
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOur little bench is so sweet and charming! What a beautiful grain sack you had to work with!

    ReplyDelete

Hi... I love reading your comments, they make my day! Thanks so much for stopping by :) Jo xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...